Hey Ya'll
So this is the adventure we had this weekend
On Friday I heard on the radio about a farm outside of Calgary that had U-Pick Saskatoons.
I called Auntie Terry and asked her if she would like to go the following day.
Her and Brenaya said YES! so we went!
This blog post will include our adventure as well as some recipes for what we made!
This was the night before, they both had a bath and sat down and read a book together it was cute!
Well, until the fighting started!
The morning we were going to the Saskatoon farm I woke up with a sore throat so I had a Lemon and Honey drink before we took off.
We went to Denny's before heading out of town.
Wynn fell asleep before we even got there!
This is what you see when you are driving up to the farm! Pure Beauty!
This is the cute little office cabin it fit in so perfectly!
Happy to be out in the sun!
The rows of Saskatoons.
Brenaya and Lynella picking.
I couldn't believe how much was on the bushes it was insane
I was never a huge fan of Saskatoons until I had fresh ones and well that changed everything!
We basically just parked Wynn in a bush and he helped himself he loved it.
Lynella helping Wynn.
Auntie Grandma and Lynella picking
Wynn out of his stroller he tipped it over and played with it for awhile.
Our haul 3 1/2 buckets full!
Our haul again!
Had a Pepsi break before we left.
We then went and dropped of Brenaya and grabbed some subway on the way home.
I really love this picture of these two!
That night Dad was able to be home (he was working this weekend)
Lynella decided she wanted to read a book to dad this time.
Sunday morning we went to meeting then went to Auntie Terry's and Brenaya's for lunch we then decided that we would use our sakatoons (approx. 14 lbs.) so here is the process in which we made
3 pies, 6 Jars of canned Saskatoons, 4 Jars of Saskatoon syrup and one bag left to freeze
We first threw 3 bags into water to rinse them off.
We then strained and
Measured for saskatoon syrup
We ended up using about 20 cups of saskatoons for syrup
These are the pans that we used for them.
Brenaya then mashed them
Mashed
Not mashed.
When then got all our ingredients together (I will put the recipes at the bottom of the post.)
All the ingredients in and boil.
Boiling!
We then poured them into this juicer thing and squeezed the juice out
all squeezed!
We poured all the pulp back in and there you have Saskatoon syrup.
Now to make the Pie crust
Got to get in there and get your hands dirty.
The milk mixture
mix in with your hands!
Roll out your dough.
In the pie tins
mmmmmm
Don't they look so good?
We put the Syrup in containers and just put the boiling hot lids on and they sealed in half an hour or so
Syrup in their jars
all sealed
We also canned some
Look at those delicious pies!
This is everything we made!
We ate some pie!! SO good!
We hung out outside and saw a dragon fly! it was HUGE!
Lynella waking up and having snack...she is protecting her food/drink from Wynn haha
Such a sweetie pie!
My gorgeous girl!
Here are the recipes for everything we made!
PASTRY:
51/2 Cups flour
!1/2 tsp Salt
1Tsp Baking powder
3 Tbsp brown sugar
Blend together until like coarse meal with 1 pound lard or shortening.
Break 1 egg into measuring cup and beat slightly. Add 1 Tbsp vinegar fill to 3/4 mark with cold water.
Blend together.
Gradually stir liquid into flour. Add only enough liquid to make dough cling together
Chill until ready to use!
PIE FILLING:
Pastry for 2 crust pie
1 cup Granulated sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 cups of saskatoons
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sugar
Roll pastry and line 9 inch pie plate, Roll top crust out. In large bowl stir first amount of sugar, flour and saskatoons together until mixed well.
Let stand 10 minutes.
Pour into pie shell.
Drizzle with lemon juice.
cover with top crust and trim and crimp to seal.
Cute vents in top.
Bake on bottom shelf at 350 for about 45 minutes
or until cooked and browned.
SASKATOON SYRUP:
2 cups of Saskatoons
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Wash and crush Saskatoons
Add suger, lemon juice and salt. Mix well
Put in saucepan and bring to a boil for 10 minutes
Add vanilla.
Strain out juice
Put pulp back into the juice
put in canning jars and seal!
We had so much fun this past weekend! I think I will try and do this every year!!
Aren't random outings the best?!
We are off to BC Friday to Summerland to visit Wayne and Roxy for the weekend
Than we are spending the rest of the week out at Mara lake with my In-Laws
We are very excited to go!
Will be doing a post on that trip once we get back!
Hope you enjoyed our weekend adventure!!
Maybe I should do this every week??
-T-



yum yum yum. My mouth is seriousily watering while I'm reading this. I think I'm going to go outside and pick some blackberries.
ReplyDelete